ParkLands Foundation Summer 2022 Internships
Restoration and Management of Native Landscapes: McLean and Woodford Counties, Central Illinois
- Experience hands-on natural lands management by removing invasive vegetation from ParkLands Foundation sites;
- Learn to identify native and invasive plant species;
- Meet professional land managers and biologists and learn management, restoration, and monitoring techniques from them;
- Coordinate with the land stewards to perform annual management activities; Assist with Foundation activities, site visits, and work days; Learn the importance of managing our natural area remnants;
- Collect native plant seeds;
- Assist with data collection as needed.
This internship program is available to students enrolled at a university or college or recent graduates. Students should have a background in one or more of these areas: biological/environmental sciences, ecology, horticulture, and related disciplines and have interests in conservation, ecological restoration, and management and preservation of natural areas. Skills and experience in identification of plants native to central Illinois are highly recommended, but much will be learned on site. This position will require physical labor outdoors. Interns will be hired for 11 weeks of service at a starting wage of $13.00 per hour for approximately 40 hours per week (may be slightly less than 40, but will not exceed).
Interns are expected to report to work sites promptly; work days will never exceed ten hours in length and will include a half-hour unpaid lunch. Work sites are at a variety of locations throughout McLean and Woodford counties, therefore reliable transportation is required (travel time is not included in the workday and there may be options for carpooling among interns). Start of the work day may be as early as sunrise in periods of intense heat, with an early end time. Interns will also be required to work on some weekends.
We seek interns who are capable of independent work, and have a strong sense of self-motivation, self-discipline, and dedication to the job. Interns must also be capable of following specific directions, be able to work alone and with others.
This work is physically demanding; applicants must be able to walk long distances over uneven terrain and be able to lift 50 pounds. Interns will work with the land steward, who will be their site supervisor, members of the ParkLands Foundation Board, and volunteers. Interns will be expected to communicate positively with ParkLands visitors and volunteers, with an emphasis on welcoming visitors from underserved populations. Information about the ParkLands Foundation is available at the ParkLands Foundation web site http://www.parklandsfoundation.org/.
- Two full-time internship positions are available for summer 2022
- Applications will be accepted through March 20, 2022, however review of applications will begin as early as February 15, therefore early submission is highly recommended.
- The internship begins in May and continues until August 2022; positions are for up to 40 hours per week with the typical work day being 8 hours with a 30 minute unpaid lunch (hours will vary with weather)
- The hourly wage for summer interns is $13.00 per hour (no overtime pay)
- Interns will work both independently and with others including volunteers, stewards, and professionals.
- An herbicide operator’s license is required, however this will be obtained at the start of the internship. For testing information contact Illinois Department of Agriculture, License and Test Information (1-800-641-3934); interns will take the General Standards test.
- A cover letter; in this letter indicate why you want to be an intern, why you think that you are qualified for the position, and how being an intern will benefit you professionally;
- ParkLands Employment Application
- A résumé stating your educational background, employment history and relevant experience;
- Names and contact information (Mailing address, Phone Number, email address) of three references;
- Three completed reference forms. Please provide a separate reference form for each reference provider.
- Please send in this form by March 20, 2022 to: ParkLands Foundation c/o Katy Everett at: email@example.com